Gardening with Special Groups
- Ten Best Garden Crops for Beginners
- If you’re a beginner, consider starting with the 10 crops discussed below. All are easy to grow, and this combination offers lots of possibilities for cooking. Some of these crops are best grown by setting out started seedlings, but most are easy to grow from a packet of seeds.
- Gardening with Kids: How It Affects Your Child’s Brian, Body and Soul
- For parents struggling to find ways to encourage their kids to eat a healthy and balanced diet, gardening can be an important tool.
- How to Get Your Children Excited About Gardening
- Wouldn’t it be great if you could get your children involved in the gardening process? It’s much easier than you may think and it’s a great activity that your family can do together.
Oregon State Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc.
Provides education, resources, and national networking opportunities for its members to promote the love of gardening, floral design and civic and environmental responsibility.
- The Guide to Garden Maintenance & Improvement
- Keeping your garden healthy is not only a way to beautify your yard, it can actually add significant value to your home.
- How to Start Your Own Urban Garden
- The weather is starting to get nice outside. Want a great way to spend some time outdoors relaxing, maybe meet a few neighbors, make your yard look better and save money on organic produce? The answer is urban gardening!
- The Ultimate Guide to Turning Your Home’s Yard into a Community Garden
- One of the most wonderful things about gardens is the way they can bring together a group of people, large or small. Converting your yard into a community garden is a rewarding experience for a homeowner, and can have far-reaching positive benefits on your neighborhood.
Great Plant Picks
An educational program committed to building a comprehensive palette of outstanding plants for maritime Pacific Northwest gardens.
- OSU Plant Clinic
- The Oregon State University Plant Clinic is a diagnostic facility associated with and housed in the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology.
- Pacific Northwest Plant Disease Management Handbook
- Plant pathologists take many different approaches to diagnosing plant disease problems.
- Seasonal Plantings calendar
- Produced by OSU Extension, each month provides reminders of key garden chores, such as fertilizing, pest control, planting, and maintenance.
- When is the Best Time to Prune?
- Tree pruning is healthy. Think of it as a haircut — you’re not hurting the plant, just keeping things in the best shape and paving the way for future growth.
Books we like:
(From guest speakers in 2018/2019)
Gardening in the Pacific Northwest: The Complete Homeowner’s Guide, by Paul Bonine, Amy Campion
The Pacific Northwest Garden Tour: The 60 Best Gardens to Visit in Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia, by Donald Olson
A Tapestry Garden: The Art of Weaving Plants and Place, by Marietta and Ernie O’Byrne
Websites and blogs we like:
- Neighborhood Planters’ Kiosk
- Helping to build thriving communities through garden information! This is the place to find out about important garden events in our community and season appropriate tips for your garden.
- Corvallis Sustainability Coalition
- The Corvallis Garden Resource Guide includes resources for Corvallis-area residents who are interested in growing their own food.